Sunday 27 July 2014

So Far So Good!

So it has been just over one week since I woke up after gastric sleeve surgery. I am now 8.8kg less than I was when I started this journey three weeks ago! I know this is not as much as some other fellow Sleevers, but I am pretty happy with this result. You can see my progress photographs and measurements on the linked pages above. Admittedly, the photographs don't really show much of a difference yet, but the measurements tell a different story! Likewise, I can confirm that my clothes are fitting differently (for the better). Happy :)

What is amazing is that the pain level is minimal. I can now sleep on my side and belly throughout the night, a position which was unthinkable only a few days ago. I am not sure if this is somehow attributed to the fact that I have been going for walks (anywhere from 2-5km), and have made an effort to keep moving throughout the day. My doctor was very clear that taking two weeks off work post op was not about sleeping in bed all day. I was advised that although I will feel strong enough to return to work after a week, my concentration would still be limited due to the reduced calorie intake. This is very true - I have not been able to read any of the books I purchased in anticipation of my free time.

This last week has been all about trying to resource as many tools as I can find, that will hopefully help me with my journey. I have downloaded "My Fitness Pal" and "RecStyle" apps, which help me track my daily calorie intake and weight loss. These applications are free to download and really simple to use. So far so good.

I have to admit that the weightless has not seemed to drop off me in the last two days, I may have hit my first lull, realignment, plateau or whatever you wish to call it. Today I spent the whole day thinking about it, freaking out about it, and googling. I think this is normal but scary. How can you not lose weight when you are practically not eating AND exercising??? Over the last week I have managed to get my daily calorie intake up from 0 up to a maximum of 645. On average I am burning 340 calories daily after my routine walk, plus whatever a human typically burns in a day. Hopefully, tomorrow will bring answers as I have my one week check up with my Surgeon and Dietician, in the morning.

I know many of you are wondering what I am eating at the moment, so I have tabulated what I have eaten each day over the last week below. Mealtimes tend to blend with each other as it sometimes takes me an hour to get through the thicker liquids or soups. By the time I drink my meal and then fill up with water, I don't have long before it is mealtime again. One thing is for sure, I am not hungry!

FRIDAY - Nothing.
SATURDAY - Minimal Water and Ice.
SUNDAY - Minimal Water and 100ml Apple Juice (It took me 6 hours but I got through it).
MONDAY - 100ml Apple Juice, 1/3 cup of Blended Vegetable Soup.
TUESDAY - 1/4 cup banana smoothie, 1/4 cup blended Vegetable Soup, 125ml Sanitarium Up&Go.
WEDNESDAY - 125ml Up&Go, 1 serve takeaway Chicken & Sweetcorn Soup (I couldn't finish it).
THURSDAY - 125ml Up&Go, Just over 1 cup Lentil Soup, 95g Kids Squeezie Vanilla Yoghurt.
FRIDAY - 100g Natural Yogurt blended 3tsp Pureed Fruit, 3/4 cup Lentil Soup, 250ml Up&Go.
SATURDAY - 100g Natural Yogurt blended 3tsp Pureed Fruit, 1 &1/2 cup Lentil Soup, 95g Kids Squeezie Vanilla Yoghurt.

*I have been aiming for 1.5L of water each day since Monday, but am still only drinking about 1L each day.

As you can imagine from above, I am on quite a few vitamins and antacids at the moment. I have been advised to have the antacids for six weeks and continue with the vitamins for the long haul. I have no issues with this and see them as a good way to make sure I stay as healthy as possible, which was the point of having the surgery anyway!

I will keep you posted on what the new week brings.

Goodnight! xT



No comments:

Post a Comment