Tuesday 22 July 2014

How Much Does it Cost?

I have been asked by lots of people how much this operation has cost me. I know that when I was looking into the procedure I couldn't find much definitive information on the costs involved. Unfortunately, the information I did find was all over the place. I booked my surgical consultation with an expectation that the procedure would cost between $3000 and $7000 after all provider rebates. The truth is,  I had no understanding of what these costs were based on, or what service I would get for them.

It turns out that I picked one of the more expensive surgeons in Perth (only slightly) , but he is also considered one of the best. In my opinion, if anyone has me open on an operating table, he damn well better be the best I can find! Going on the bulk billing government system is always an option in Australia. I never really considered this option as I knew the wait list was in excess of three years, and that when the time came, you have no choice on the doctors treating you. I am pretty fortunate. Money did not really frontline as a major concern in my decision making. I have been working for just under five years now and although I am not by any means rich, I did have a small amount of savings on the side which was left for rainy days or upcoming holidays. So for me, this operation would push back my next big holiday by another year or two. I can totally live with this!

To help anyone considering weight loss surgery, I have documented the costs to date in my Cost of Surgery page. This documents all the costs, including supplements etc. I know the costs will increase over time due to ongoing consultations with the clinic, ongoing personal training etc, but it is pretty comprehensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment