Friday 1 August 2014

10kg Down and Over 40kg To Go!

So here I am, two weeks post-op and a total of four weeks since I started this journey. I haven't lost as much weight as I would have liked to this week, but the Dietician and Surgeon are both happy with my progress. Nevertheless, there is a niggling thought at the back of my head which keeps saying I need to lose more now! To date, I have lost 10.1kg, but only 1.4kg of that was this week. I know I must sound crazy because on any other diet I would be over the moon to record a loss over 1kg. This time, for some strange and stupid reason, I am expecting a lot more of myself. Perhaps it is because I have resorted to an extreme to lose the weight, or because I am eating so little and exercising so much, or maybe it is because I want this to be the last time I have to do this (so badly). Whatever the reason, I am going to try to celebrate my losses and not over criticise myself. I am not sure how I am going to do this, but I am. Any ideas are welcome!

In reality, not much has changed this week. I have continued to progress with consuming more fluids in less time, which is great! I am still itchy around my 5 incision sites, I still have sudden rushes of energy and then a substantial crash every so often, and my concentration is still lacking. The strangest thing is how cold I feel! Unless I am exercising, I feel the cold much more than I ever use to. I knew to expect this as it was recorded in many blogs that I found prior to surgery, but I didn't expect to feel it so dramatically. I can't wait for the summer!

The biggest change has come today as I graduated to Phase Two of my diet plan. After two weeks on liquids I was pretty excited about trying some new foods like scrambled egg, warm porridge and poached white fish! Unfortunately, my excitement was short lived. Although my stomach had slowly become accustomed to thick soups and pureed fruit over the last two weeks, I didn't realise that moving onto soft foods would make me feel so unwell. It turns out that my body didn't like having soft solids.

Today I managed to eat one scrambled egg and just over half a cup of mashed poached fish with peas. The fish was split over lunch and dinner (quarter cup each), and took me about 28 minutes to eat each time. By the end of the meal I had the worst heartburn and started to have reflux, which was very uncomfortable. My dietician says that I should be able to eat two to four times this amount in 20 minutes by the end of Week 3! Based on today's experience, this doesn't feel remotely possible, but I know it just takes time. As terrible as I felt, I have to admit that I have been pretty blessed post surgery. I have had no actual complications to date (touch wood), I have had minimal pain and discomfort, I am not hungry and I am achieving my goal - losing weight and getting healthier!

In the coming week, I will face a new challenge but I feel that I am ready for it. I return back to work on Monday and although I have limited concentration at the moment, I think I can manage this by taking frequent breaks and ensuring I don't work overtime. I purchased lots of little Tupperware last week which I intend to fill with meals before I go to work. I am not 100% sure what I am going to prepare yet but I have a two days to think about this...Here is to hoping the new week brings more weightloss and comfort eating new foods!

As always, I have updated the 'My Measurements' and 'Progress Photograph' pages with this week's progress. Chat soon xx


4 comments:

  1. I wish you can read your blog as an outsider! :) You are so cute!! Seems like your body is like a teenager... It doesn't want to do what mum (your inner voice) is telling it to do (i.e. lose more, lose more, more...) I reckon that once your mind starts thinking about something else, there will be no more resistance! What about meditation? :) Lova ya gorgeous! you are doing great!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hun :) Mmmm I would be super proud if I can learn to meditate. I have wayyyy to many thoughts in my head at once. I'll teach you to bellydance and you can teach me to meditate!

      Delete
  2. Theresa,you are doing great!10 kg already!and the photos speaks by themselves :)you look gorgeous,and healthier and your skin smoother...you should be proud of herself :)
    And welcome to the cold feeling!!,hahaha...it's winter anyway...what should you expect? ;p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks guapa! Don't forget the 0.1....hehehe. The cold feeling is terrible! I need more jumpers!

      Delete