Thursday 27 November 2014

M.I.A, Dancing, Meet and Greets, Goals, To many Frogs on Lilypads, Doctors and zzZZZzzz's!

I know, I know that I have been bad. I am a bad girl who has not been writing updates on what's happening.... but I did post my measurements and photos on the weekend, so I got 50% of my job done on time! Anyway, better late than never I say! No more being M.I.A I promise :)
 
My only excuse is that I have been exhausted, literally exhausted. Over the last few weeks I have progressively been waking up more and more exhausted. Needless to say I have been caught sneaking out of the office sick room after a mid afternoon power nap on more than one occasion :s The problem is that I am actually so tired that it isn't really safe to be doing anything other than napping. I quickly lose any concentration that I had (hardly any), and progressively feel a bit more woozy and light headed as the day goes on. By lunch time I am a wreck and resort to the sneaky nap but it doesn't seem to help until late afternoon when I get some weird second wind - very annoying! I should clarify that I am getting a decent amount of sleep each night (8ish hours), so I know it isn't this. So with all the fainting, bruising, dizziness, and feeling sleepy all the time, I decided it was time to go back to Surgeon Jon to see what is going on with me. I went for a comprehensive blood analysis and results were actually great! I am a much healthier chicky than I was pre-op in June. See results below. 

Vitamin D = 128 (+43 from June)
Cholesterol = 3.7  (-1.1 from June)
Triglyceride = 0.9 (-0.3 from June)
HDL Cholesterol = 1.4 (+0.1 from June)
LDL Cholesterol = 1.9 (-1.1 from June)
Coronary Risk Ratio = 2.6 (-1.1 from June)
Iron = 17  (+6 from June)
Fasting Glucose = 3.7 (-1.2 from June)
 
So how do these great results explain why I feel so very tired and mentally challenged? They don't! Doctor Jon has kindly reminded me that anyone who loses 32kg in four and a half months is going to naturally be tired and very distracted. Additionally, the components of the muscles and fat cells around my body are in a state of sudden flux and this will cause bruising naturally. I was reminded that I am doing really well and that I have actually now lost 60% of my excess body fat which is pretty amazing if I do say so myself. The interesting thing is that typically patients are told to expect to lose and keep off 60% of their excess body fat, but I was originally told that I should be able to lose at least 80% (if not all). So quite frankly, I think this is a pretty big milestone for me! Hoorah!!!! Only another 40% to go then I am on maintenance :) Anyhow, after speaking to Jon and then with Carol it was agreed that I as I am still only consuming an approximate 700 calories per day but then burning off a minimum of 1000 - 2000 calories from exercise each day (not including the calories a body burns to keep itself going), that I am most likely under eating. I have been advised that I need to add another two snacks into my daily plan and it doesn't matter if I have them within 30 minutes of drinking. Any of you sleevers know that this is generally a big no no, but apparently as they are only snacks that it is ok to have them with small sips of coffee/water. I have to admit that over the last two days I have tried really hard to increase my calorie intake by approximately 300 calories and reduce my exercise slightly, and I do feel better. I am adding nuts to my morning coffee snack and have shifted my nutribullet smoothie from breakfast to an after dinner snack...this means I can fit in porridge for breakfast.  Anyway, I figure a rest week won't do massive harm even if it does reduce the rate of weight loss this week.....any thoughts or suggestions?
 
Last time I mentioned that my goal keeps changing as I keep thinking a lower weight would look lovely on me (yes it is like a new summer outfit!). So while I officially have 20.8kg to go to achieve my 67kg goal I would really like to lose 25.8kg. While I was at the surgeons clinic I was catching up with the counsellor and she has recommended that I try to avoid thinking of a numeric weight which I will be happy to live at. Instead she has recommended I think of a dress size which I would be happy to wear. Her concern is that I will become obsessed my a number and become relentless in trying to achieveing it. She did let it slip that this is based on my previous experiences as a "workaholic" and a "perfectionist" of sorts. Her question was what will I be able to do as a 62kg female that I wont be able to do as a 72kg female. This is a really hard one for me, as I know she has a good point.... I can become quite over-focused when I want something, but at the same time I really want to stay focused. I think I need to find a fun and creative way to track/measure my future losses, but I am pretty lost as to what I should do. Again... I am looking for ideas people :)
 
Ok! onwards and upwards to the fun stuff! DATING! Well let me be honest here... I do not have any crazy amount of dating experience... in fact, my experience is so minimal it is embarrassing, butttttt losing weight and getting some confidence seems to have turned the switch! These last few weeks I have been on quite a few dates and getting lots of attention from other guys while dancing, out or at work. Some of the attention is just more complements/flirting/banter than usual while other attention is pretty in your face and quite terrible actually.... So here is the thing... of all the dates I have been on, there is actually only one guy that I even like and he doesn't seem to fancy me as anything more than a friend (or else he is completely oblivious to my very fantastic flirting style)... all the others are being considered frogs on lilypads who are not actually going to turn into Prince Charming when I kiss them. Don't ask me how I know... I just do :P Anyway, I shall keep you informed of my dating expeditions as they unfold.

OMG! I can't believe I almost forgot to mention it, but I bought bikinis! Not only do I have one pair, but I went a bit crazy and got three :o ....Yes, Twentysix Bites blogger Theresa now has bikinis which don't look absolutely awful on me as long as I stay standing, don't sit down, don't move my floppy legs around too much, and move slowly. Yipeee!!! Don't ask me how I plan to swim and abide by the rules...perhaps these are more like my "indoor clothes" that no one else needs to see for a while....
 
Anyhow, I shall sign off shortly but I should tell you of some of the very exciting things that will be happening over the next week or so:
  1. Lots and lots of Christmas parties!
  2. I get to meet other bariatric patients who train with my fantastic Personal Trainer (Toby), as she is hosting an end of year function for us all - yep this will be my first chance to meet fellow sleevers!
  3. I may be meeting up with a fellow sleeve blogger called Martin which is very exciting for me!
  4. I will be hearing from an old friend who has been considering WLS and is meeting with a surgeon. I met with this lovely lady a few weeks ago to talk her through my experiences and I honestly wish her all the best in making whatever decision is best for her xxx
  5. More dates hopefully ;)
That is all for now. I will leave you with a beautiful saying that a close friend of mine reminded me of after reading my last post when I was pretty down. 
 
"Those who mind don't matter.... Those who matter don't mind...."
 
I have actually stuck this saying on my work computer so I can always look at it when I am feeling a bit confused or down. So far it has come in handy in keeping my spirits up...I hope it helps make your day better too.
 
Happy Summer's Night, Theresa

No comments:

Post a Comment